What can MS Access Databases possibly do for you at Home, as a Writer, or for Business Purposes?
MS Access takes excel a step further and can simplify your life by collecting all types of information and displaying results in forms and reports for easy review, analysis, and references. Anyone can use MS Access for any purpose. Its ideal for writers, for home use and for businesses.
Microsoft Access is a relational database that has the same basic functionality as the other MS Office Suite software. For starters, it is a wonderful software that can and should be used by everyone to help them with record keeping. It has the ability to hold large amounts of data (all sorts of data ..small or large!) and gives you results fast!
MS Access has a lot more features and functions that make it a truly unique, user-friendly, hands-on and flexible system, for anyone to use. Microsoft built this software for anyone to design, and build that contain specific rules to ensure data input/ output consistency. This software provided by Microsoft allows you to construct a Database from scratch, or have someone do it for you or use the database templates that it provides.
It is a step-up from MS Excel. It can do anything Excel can do, plus more! It’s compatible with MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook… so you can up-load and download to & from these software programs. Access templates are super easy to use with a click of a button…literally.
You can enter data into Form(s) and Spreadsheet(s) that can be built into the Database(s). Your data is entered in once and is filtered to any other form(s) or report(s) that it’s linked to, automatically. This ability saves you time and can avoid mistakes by up-dating the same information that may appear in various areas. The tight construction of an MS Access Database helps ensure data output reliability and avoids duplication.
In simple terms, MS Access or as we like to refer to it, simply ‘Access’ is an amazing tool that can and should be used by anyone who needs to manage, organize, and analyze large amounts of data, quickly.
Many folks don’t know about Access or maybe have a vague idea, never tried it, heard about it but have no idea how to use it, or have tried it and really like it.
Access is probably on your computer right now and you didn’t even know it!
It’s either purchased as a package with Microsoft Professional or Access is bought as a stand-alone. You can check your system right now to see if you have it.
Here is a quick step to help you check your Desktop Computer to see if you have MS Access installed:
A simple search is to open your Windows Explorer and type the word Access into the search bar, hit enter and see if MS Access is found. If it is, that is a wonderful first step! If you can’t find it, you can always get it by downloading it from Microsoft on-line. So simple.
When you open Access, you will see templates already available and ready-to-use. Even though they are perfectly functional, many folks that build databases prefer not to use them, just because they prefer to create their own templates, in order to know how they tick and to have the ability to make them based on their own preferences.
MS Access can track any sort of data you can think of and it can be used for personal and business use.
In Summary, MS Access Databases can handle and contain:
- Large amounts of data, quickly
- Displays data in various forms and reports in an eye appealing display for quick reference, analysis, and management
- It avoids duplication – put your information once and it up-dates all forms and reports it’s linked to automatically
- Saves you time by generating reports with a click of a button
- It condenses large files into filtered reports
- MS Access handles GB of data
- MS Access 2007-2010 = 3 GIG
- MS Access 2003 = 1 GIG
- It contains referential integrity
- It contains validation rules
- It’s a step-up from excel by not only managing large sums of data but also avoids errors and duplications by giving consistent results
- A single MS Access Database:
- 2007-2010 = 2 GIG
- 2003 = 1 GIG
- It contains tables, quieries, forms, reports, macros and VBA modules
- It is flexible
- Easy to add tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and VBA modules even after the Database is created and in use!
- Data you entered could be changed whenever needed
- Like the other Microsoft software programs, you have the ability to cut, copy, paste, filter, etc.
- It has the ability to up-load & download data from another Access Database and from Excel, Word, Outlook…
More folks should use MS Access but don’t because they don’t know too much about this wonderful software and what it can really do for them to make their lives so much easier, especially when there are large amounts of data to keep track of. MS Access takes an often overwhelming situation of data management overload into a streamlined effective management solution.
Written by Deborah @ (DCS) DatabaseCreationSite.com where Creative People Make Awesome Databases for Personal Use, Businesses, and for Writers.